Once in a great while an unfortunate term lodges itself in the public mind (think “electronica“). For the web developer of yesteryear and neophytes of the now it’s Web2.0.
Cute I’ll admit, but perhaps too techy to explain to Grandma. It does however represent something meaningful, ie the second coming of innovative web technologies, web based applications, and now more experienced business and engineering professionals ready for another go at internet fame and fortune.
More and more I’ve had to explain this to my non technical family and friends. So I had to ask myself too: “What is Web2.0 exactly?” For the inquisitive (and for me), here’s a crash course list of explanations and references I’ve compiled to answer just this question:
- What Is Web 2.0: O’reilly style
- The collective Wikipedia take
- Martin Fowler’s thoughts
- The Web2.0 awards: a whose who list of new applications and companies online
- Go2Web20: a visual barrage of logos and links.
- Web 2.0 validator: Just for fun!